Read about our mission and values
Health for all
FESTMIH connects national societies and other organisations and platforms active in the domain of global health and tropical medicine. We were founded in 1995 during the first European Congress on Tropical Medicine and International Health in Hamburg.
Twenty two years later, we are proud to have established a network of European societies and platforms in the domain of global health and tropical medicine. The Federation welcomes new societies or organisations to our network to jointly work on achieving our mission.
In 2017 we welcomed the Irish Forum for Global Health as our fifteenth member, and at the 10th ECTMIH congress in Antwerp, the Croatian Society of Travel, Tropical and Migration Medicine joined FESTMIH. The steady growth of the network ensures continuity of our work, and opens new possibilities for joint action in research and development, dissemination of knowledge, advocacy and exchange of experiences in the field of global health and tropical medicine.
Membership is open to national societies or platforms / forums of professionals with an interest in tropical medicine and global health.
This is what we do
- FESTMIH is the patron and co-organisor of the European Congresses on Tropical Medicine and International Health. And since 1995 we co-organised 10 ECTMIHs throughout Europe.
- Organise joint sessions of member societies at European / international congresses in global health and tropical medicine
- Publish the Journal Tropical Medicine and International Health
- Liaise with European Schools of global health and tropical medicine
- Support research and development in the interest of global health and tropical medicine
- Advocate for universal access to health and equity in health
We envision a world of equity in health for all, a goal for which FESTMIH supports a community of practice in global health and tropical medicine.
Our mission is to improve the health status of people worldwide: through establishing partnerships and mobilising professionals, and by promoting and disseminating research in global health and tropical medicine.
Universal access: we support universal access to health and equity in health
Inclusiveness: we strive for inclusiveness
Global health and tropical medicine: we are a professional organisation building on the interdisciplinary expertise of our member societies
Diversity: we emphasize the value and importance of cultural diversity and human rights in achieving better health for all
Collaboration: we promote European and global collaboration and networking in global health and tropical medicine
Research and development: we believe in the crucial role of research and development, with emphasis on low resource settings / low- and middle-income countries, in achieving better health for all